There’s something enchanting about fantasy series. It’s all so unreal, unrelatable, and imaginative but it still somehow resonates with many and drags us towards it. We are teleported to a faraway land that doesn’t resemble the real world yet is so captivating that we can’t help but find resemblances. And this is exactly what adds to the whole craze of fantasy series.
One such series that has been wowing the audience since 2019 is The Witcher. The series worked so well that it was renewed for Season 2 which was released only recently in December 2021. But that wasn’t enough. People wanted more of Geralt of Rivia, Crown Princess Ciri of Cintra and also the sorceress Yennefer of Vengerberg.
The series, which is based on a novel of the same name, has since then kept the audience hooked as to when can they see a probable The Witcher Season 3.
Here is all we know about The Witcher Season 3 so far.
The Witcher Season 3 Renewal Status: Has it been renewed?
That shouldn’t be a question at all. Of course, it’s happening. It was much before the release of Season 2 that the series officially announced the renewal of the series for another series and gave fans the much-needed assurance that The Witcher Season 3 will surely happen and that they would get to see more of Henry Cavill’s killer looks, jaw-dropping or even breaking action and monster hunting skills.
Toss a coin to our growing Witcher universe! We can officially announce The Witcher Season 3, along with a second anime feature film, and a new Kids and Family series set in the world of The Witcher. pic.twitter.com/E032fDAXYx
— The Witcher (@witchernetflix) September 25, 2021
The Witcher Season 3 Release Date
Given the fact that Season 2 aired only recently, it’s too early to ask for a release date or even predict one. Netflix hasn’t revealed many details about the new season. And we might have to wait for a few months, or at least weeks until we start getting more updates on The Witcher Season 3 and then finally a release date. But still, if you are looking for a release date, it might not happen this year. However, don’t get disappointed.
According to a report by What’s on Netflix, the filming is expected to start this March. If that’s the case, we might see the arrival of The Witcher Season 3 in early 2023, if the makers don’t plan to surprise us with some big announcement soon.
The Witcher Season 3 Trailer
Since Netflix, hasn’t given any information yet about its one of the biggest original shows, we can’t predict when can we get to see the trailer of the much-awaited The Witcher Season 3.
The Witcher Season 3 Plot
The third season of the popular fantasy series will be based on the second novel of The Witcher, titled The Time of Contempt. Showrunner Lauren Hissrich, in a tweet, confirmed it and said that Season 3 has been comparatively easier for them to adapt.
S3 follows The Time of Contempt which — thank god — is a much easier book to adapt in terms of events and pace of action! I'm thrilled with the scripts so far, and how we're seeing Sapkowski's story unfold.
— Lauren S. Hissrich (@LHissrich) January 12, 2022
The Witcher Season 3 Expected Characters
In the absence of an official announcement, all we can do is predict. The Witcher Season 3 may give in more details about Ciri’s father Duny, who was revealed as the Emperor Emhyr of Nilfgaard. The elves are another key element of the series and we can expect to see more of them in the new season.
There are several new characters that are expected to make an entry in The Witcher Season 3, one of them is Marylebone, according to a report by Illuminerdi. She has been described as someone who possesses not only a razor-sharp wit but a quick blade as well. Her age belies her experience, for she has been forced to mature quickly and learn to survive in a cruel world. Apart from her several other characters like Greenwich, Parsons, Hampstead are expected to appear in The Witcher Season 3.
Here are the complete character descriptions as listed by What’s on Netflix:
- The Professor: One of the many thugs Geralt will fight in season 3, this one is slightly more educated and pretentious, hence the name.
- Picadilly: The brother of a king, described as “a man who is second in line to the throne but seems more prone to a player lifestyle than to a political one. Though he gives off a carefree air, underneath it all he’s rather shrewd at strategy and impassive to boot.”
- Aplegatt: A royal messenger, played by someone who will need to know his way around a horse. This middle-aged gentleman was tired of his life and the horrors he’d witnessed on the job until he heard something that revolutionized his outlook from that moment on.”
- Maida-Vale: Plus-sized and powerful, she is a member of a particular group of women you don’t want to cross. Vivacious and self-confident, she’s sure to be a match for anyone she meets in The Witcher.”
- Parsons: Most likely Fake Ciri, is a teenage girl convinced she is someone else in order to become a political pawn.”
And also, I assure you, False Ciri can still happen — seeing as she’s called False Ciri in the books. Readers aren’t supposed to believe she’s the real one; viewers can have the same experience.
— Lauren S. Hissrich (@LHissrich) December 30, 2021
- Greenwich: A brave and loyal soldier, portrayed by an actor in his 20s, who feels his fervor fade slightly when he realizes his comrades are not as committed as he is.
- Hampstead: She is described as a middle-aged married woman trapped in a loveless marriage to a man who is more like her child than her husband. Though she inhabits courtly life, her opinions more often than not fall on deaf ears.”
- Euston: A ladies’ maid, played by an actress in her 20s, whose shy and timid appearance is hiding a lethal wildcard ready to put the hurt on those who stand in her way.
- Victoria: A gorgeous free spirit who is hot-blooded but kind-hearted.
- Richmond: A musician who sells instruments for a living and is done with customers thinking they can walk all over her.
What is Jaskier without a lute?
— Lauren S. Hissrich (@LHissrich) December 30, 2021
Will The Witcher Season 3 mark the finale of the series?
It may or may not. However, the original novel had 8 books, and The Witcher Season 3 is based on The Time of Contempt which is the fourth in the book series. This leaves room for more seasons to the Henry Cavill series, however, the final decision will, obviously, be made by Netflix or the series creators.