Everything you need to know about the series starring Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe.
When a series has completed at least five seasons and has amassed a massive fan base, there is no doubt that it will be greenlit for additional installments in the future. We have seen many series, such as Friends, Big Bang Theory, and others, with at least 10 seasons and high viewership and network success.
As with Outlander, a historical drama television series based on Diana Gabaldon’s ongoing novel series, the story of these series developed and explored further dimensions that they may have questioned previously.
The show was created by Ronald D. Moore and premiered on Starz on August 9, 2014.
The series has already completed 5 seasons, and it’s not stopping anytime soon. It is currently premiering Season 6 worldwide, and the fans are excited to see the series and how the story progresses in the coming episodes.
Now with Season 6 comes the anticipation of Outlander Season 7 and its renewal status. So, here’s everything we know so far about Outlander Season 7.
Will there be Season 7 of Outlander?
Yes. Outlander Season 7 is officially renewed, and it’s happening so the fans can rejoice.
It is also reported that the premise of Season 7 will be based on the book Echo in the Bone. Outlander is being shot in Scotland, which serves as a stand-in for North Carolina.Moreover, the production of the series started in Scotland last week on April 7, 2022, as confirmed through the Outlander official Twitter handle.
Check out the official tweet here:
— Outlander (@Outlander_STARZ) April 6, 2022
Sam Heughan, one of the prominent cast members who portrays James “Jamie” MacKenzie Fraser, also shared another behind-the-scenes shot.
— Sam Heughan (@SamHeughan) April 6, 2022
Last year, fans were disappointed to learn that Season 5 episodes were cut short in terms of episode count due to a Covid restriction, with only 8 episodes premiering in Season 6, and production was completed quickly. The good news is that the upcoming season will be a 16-episode season to compensate for the lack of episodes aired last year.
Moreover, Christina Davis, President of Original Programming for Starz, said. “The hit series ‘Outlander’ embodies everything about our initiative including a powerful female lead character and an amazing team of storytellers. We look forward to following the adventures of Claire and Jamie in America during the Revolution as well as more time travel during this next season.”
He added, “We are so excited Starz has given us the opportunity to continue the epic ‘Outlander’ journey,” Roberts said.
Outlander Season 7 Release Date
There are no confirmed dates for its premiere as the series just went into production for its next season. It is expected to launch sometime in early 2023. It’s a good sign as the series Season 7 began its production before the Season 6 premiere, so fans won’t have to wait for a long time.
Which Outlander cast members are returning for Season 7?
The series’ original cast members are all returning for Outlander Season 7. The story still requires these characters to delve into their characteristics and situations they must deal with in future sequences, which will be very exciting to see translated from script to screen adaptation.
Some of the prominent cast members include:
- Caitríona Balfe as, Claire Beauchamp Fraser
- Sam Heughan as James “Jamie” MacKenzie Fraser
- Sophie Skelton as Brianna Randall Fraser
- Richard Rankin as Roger Wakefield
- John Bell as Young Ian
- Duncan Lacroix as Murtagh Fitzgibbons Fraser
Is there a new cast member in the series?
Rumors about new members joining the team have been circulating for quite some time. We do not yet have a confirmed list because the network or other source has not affirmed such information. However, we will learn more about these details as the series progresses through its production.
According to the Daily Record in the United Kingdom, Outlander Season 7 will see the return of William Ransom, Jamie’s secretly shared son with Geneva Dunsany. Because William was only a child when he last showed up in the series, he’ll almost certainly be recast with an older actor this time around.
What will be the plot of Outlander Season 7?
As previously stated, the upcoming season of the series is based on Diana Gabaldon’s novel series Echo in the Bone. To get a sense of the plot, viewers can read the book’s description, which is provided below, which will undoubtedly give you a sense of what to expect from the series’ next installment and the premise.
Diana Gabaldon’s website offers the following description of the story:
Set in America, London, Canada, and Scotland. The book’s cover image reflects the internal shape of the novel: a caltrop. That’s an ancient military weapon that looks like a child’s jack with sharp points; the Romans used them to deter elephants, and the Highway Patrol still uses them to stop fleeing perps in cars. This book has four significant storylines: Jamie and Claire; Roger and Brianna (and family); Lord John and William; and Young Ian, all intersecting in the nexus of the American Revolution—and all of them with sharp points. (1777-1778/1972)
Is there a prequel planned for the series?
Yes! A prequel has been in the works for quite some time now.
On February 25, 2022, it was reported that a prequel series is in the works, with Matthew B. Roberts writing and executive producing. The plot has not yet been revealed, but they have been teasing fans via social media posts about the project being considered for further development.
Would love to know! 😘 https://t.co/fGnybS5q99
— Diana Gabaldon (@Writer_DG) February 26, 2022
How many episodes will be in Outlander Season 7?
As previously stated, Outlander Season 7 will have 16 episodes to make up for the previous season’s lack of episodes, with an average runtime of 61 minutes, as seen in the last season. However, the network will soon release the confirmed details.
Where can you stream Outlander?
Outlander Season 7 will premiere on STARZ and the STARZ app, with new episodes most likely premiering on Sunday nights. Moreover, the previous seasons of Outlander can currently be viewed on Amazon, the STARZ app, Netflix, and Hulu based on the region you live in.
Take a look at the series’s general synopsis:
- Claire Randall, a former nurse in the British Army during WWII, and her husband Frank are visiting Inverness, Scotland, in 1945, when she is transported back in time to 1743 by the standing stones at Craigh na Dun (in what is now Tay Forest Park).
- Claire marries a Highlander, Jamie Fraser, out of necessity, but they quickly fall in love.
- Clan MacKenzie suspects her of being a spy but keeps her as a healer, preventing her from returning to her own time.
- She tries to warn them against rebellion, knowing that the Jacobite cause is doomed to fail.
- Jamie is kidnapped, tortured, and raped by the sadistic Randall, but Claire and his clan members rescue him.
- Claire informs Jamie that she is expecting a child, and the two set sail for the Kingdom of France.
- She accomplishes this by persuading Randall to marry Mary Hawkins.
- Randall reappears in Paris, but Claire makes Jamie swear that she will keep him alive until Frank’s descent is assured.
- Faith, Claire and Jamie’s stillborn daughter, returns to Scotland with her 18th-century husband.
- The Jacobites triumph at Prestonpans.
- Jamie persuades Claire, who is pregnant again, to return to the twentieth century before the Battle of Culloden.
- Jamie decides to die fighting with his clan at Culloden.
- Claire tells Frank about her time travel when she returns to her century.
- Claire travels to Scotland with her 20-year-old daughter Brianna.
- Claire learns that Jamie did not die at Culloden and vows to find him.
- Jamie murders Randall at Culloden and is severely wounded but spared execution.
- Jamie moves back to Scotland and works as a printer.
- Claire discovers clues to Jamie’s fate after Culloden with the assistance of Roger Wakefield.
- She travels back to the 18th century, where she discovers Jamie has married a widowed Laoghaire.
- They try to find some hidden treasure so that he can make a deal with Laoghaire, but Jamie’s nephew Ian is kidnapped by pirates and taken to the Caribbean.
- Claire and Jamie set sail for Scotland, only to be shipwrecked off the coast of Georgia.
- Claire and Jamie, along with Fergus, Marsali, and Ian, seek to return to Scotland in the British colony of North Carolina.
- They go to Jamie’s aunt Jocasta Cameron’s plantation, where they encounter enslaved Africans.
- Lord John pays a visit to Jamie’s son, Willy.
- Brianna rejects Roger’s marriage proposal in the 1970s.
- Roger goes to Fraser’s Ridge, where Brianna’s maid Lizzie incorrectly believes he is the rapist.
- Roger and Brianna are reunited at Jocasta’s plantation, and Jamie is given orders to kill Murtagh, who is on the run.
- Jamie and Claire fight to keep their home at Fraser’s Ridge as the American Revolutionary War approaches.
- Brianna and Roger marry, and Governor Tryon pushes Jamie harder to find Murtagh, forcing Jamie to gather a militia and fight the Regulators.
- Jamie’s loyalties are tested at the Battle of Alamance when Roger’s attempt to warn Murtagh fails, and Murtagh is killed.
- Claire is kidnapped and gang-raped by Lionel Brown and his men before being rescued by Jamie, Fergus, Roger, and the other men of the Ridge.
It is currently airing, so we don’t want to spoil it for you before you can see it for yourself. But here’s a quick rundown for you to understand what is happening in the sixth season:
- The sixth season of Outlander sees Claire and Jamie continue fighting to protect those they care about as they navigate the trials and tribulations of life in colonial America.
- Claire and Jamie have built a home together at Fraser’s Ridge against this backdrop, which heralds the birth of the new American nation.
- Season 6 then delves into what happens when there is discord and division among the home inhabitants you’ve built: when you become an outsider, or an “outlander,” as it were, marginalized and rejected in your own home.
What is the overall reception of the series so far?
The overall series has an average rating of 89 % on Rotten Tomatoes and a rating of 76 out of 100 on Metacritic. Whereas, on IMDb, the series has a score of 8.5 out of 10 with 150k votes.
When is Outlander Season 6 Episode 7 releasing?
Episode 7 is scheduled to release on April 24, 2022, while Episode 6 aired on April 10.
Check out the latest promo for Outlander Season 6 Episode 7
Take a look at some of the fan’s reactions to Season 6:
— cassandra🧚🏼♀️ (@cassgrm) April 10, 2022
— S6 spoilers Comfort for Jammf stans (@jammfcomfort) April 10, 2022
— Camila Pereira 🇵🇹🇺🇦 (@CamilaP_CMBart) April 10, 2022
Catch up on all previous seasons and watch the new Season 6 of Outlander to learn more about this universe in the upcoming Season 7.