Is The Empress Season 2 renewed? Find out.
Only a few German Netflix Originals have been able to surpass the immense success that Barbarians was able to garner during its release. The Empress is one of them. For the unversed, The Empress is a historical romantic drama series written by Katharina Eyssen. Based upon the life stories of Empress Elizabeth of Austria, it was co-written by Bernd Lange, Lena Stahl, and Janna Maria Nandzik.
Season 1 of The Empress revolves around Elizabeth Wittebach and her marriage to Franz Joseph, the Emperor of Austria, at the age of 16. It aptly showcases her struggle to voice out in court and go against her mother-in-law.
Here’s everything you need to know about The Empress Season 2.
Has The Empress season 2 been officially renewed?
Currently, the German historical drama has not been renewed for a second season. It has been almost three weeks on Netflix since the release of the first season.
The renewal of a show depends upon a variety of factors, such as viewership figures and production costs. However, The Empress was successful in garnering powerful critical acclaim, surpassing 106,000,000 million hours of viewership. Not only that, but it was also the most-watched non-English language series on Netflix for at least a week upon its release.
Be that as it may, since it’s recently released, The Empress might take some time before getting renewed for a second season.
What could be the possible plotline of The Empress Season 2?
In season 1, we see Elizabeth giving birth to the first of her four children, Archduchess Sophie of Austria. Despite the fact that the birth of her first child is the happiest moment of her life, Elizabeth found herself at odds with her mother-in-law since the latter took the responsibility of raising the former’s children. Be that as it may, when Elisabeth takes her child to travel in Hungary, she dies of a high fever. As a result, all of the surviving children grow apart from their mothers, who started to showcase ‘unmotherly’ characteristics.
According to What’s on Netflix, “The second season is likely to explore the pregnancy of Elisabeth, and the first couple of years of life as a mother until the tragic death of her firstborn child.”
What is the release date of The Empress Season 2?
Considering that The Empress has not been renewed for the second season by the streaming giant as of yet, it will be hard to presume the release date for the same. However, if we do take an educated guess, The Empress Season 2 can only be expected to hit Netflix sometime in 2024.
Who are the cast members of The Empress Season 2?
The following list of cast members is expected to return in The Empress Season 2:
- Devrim Lingnau as Elisabeth von Wittelsbach
- Philip Froissant as Franz Joseph I of Austria
- Melika Foroutan as Princess Sophie of Bavaria,
- Johannes Nussbaum as Archduke Maximilian
- Elisa Schlott as Duchess Helene in Bavaria
- Jördis Triebel as Princess Ludovika of Bavaria
- Almila Bagriacik as Countess Leontine von Apafi
- Hanna Hilsdorf as Countess Amalia von Salm Reifferscheidt.
- Runa Greiner as Countess Charlotte von Stubenberg
- Svenja Jung as Countess Louise Gundemann
- Andreas Döhler as Duke Maximilian Joseph in Bavaria
- Wiebke Puls as Countess Sophie Esterházy
- Michael Faith as Archduke Franz Karl of Austria
- Felix Nölle as Archduke Ludwig Viktor of Austria
- Martin Butzke as Gustav, Prince of Vasa
For more release date updates on The Empress Season 2, stay tuned to Web News Observer!