India and China have withdrawn their forces from Gogra in eastern Ladakh. This step has been taken after the consensus was reached in the 12th round of military talks.
Issuing a statement, the Indian Army said that both the countries withdrew their forces on 4 and 5 August in a phased, coordinated and verified manner. Now the armies of both the countries have retreated to their permanent posts.
All temporary structures demolished from the area
The army said that on July 31, the 12th round of talks between the armies of the two countries was held in Chushul-Moldo, in which it was agreed to withdraw the forces from Gogra. According to the army, both sides have demolished all their temporary structures built in the area, and the land has been restored to the pre-dispute condition. Both sides have also agreed to follow the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
The army said that after settling the dispute in another area, the two sides issued a commitment to carry forward the talks and resolve the remaining issues related to the LAC. The army said that it is committed to the sovereignty of the country.
It is noteworthy that since May 5 last year, there has been tension between India and China along the LAC in eastern Ladakh. This dispute, which started from Pangong Lake, spread to the areas like Galwan Valley, Gogra Post and Hot Spring etc. There was also a violent clash between the two countries’ armies in Galwan Valley in which 20 Indian soldiers were martyred. Since then, several rounds of talks have taken place between the two countries.
The first breakthrough in talks came in February this year when the two countries reached an agreement to withdraw troops on both sides, northern and southern, of Pangong Lake. Under this agreement, both the countries had withdrawn their armies, but China refused to withdraw the army from Hot Spring and Gogra after this. It has also re-strengthened its position in many places in eastern Ladakh.
According to an India Today report, China has set up permanent bases in Kangxiwar, north of Aksai Chin. China has also built pucca bases and military buildings in some disputed areas, which can increase the conflict between the two countries. According to intelligence estimates, China has temporarily deployed 10,000 additional troops in addition to the 10,000 already permanently stationed at Rudok and Kangxiwar.
According to a Bloomberg report, India has sent 50,000 additional troops to its border with China. Officials say that this will help India to attack China and capture land if needed. According to the report, now India has about two lakh soldiers on the border.