Kinnaur landslide: Death toll reaches 15, Chief Minister visits Kinnaur today | Web News Observer

Kinnaur landslide: Death toll reaches 15, Chief Minister visits Kinnaur today

The death toll in the landslide incident in Himachal Pradesh’s Kinnaur district has risen to 15, and four more bodies were found today. According to the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), relief and rescue operations resumed at 6 am today, and efforts are on to locate the government bus and Bolero car. State Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur also visited the affected area.

Yesterday there was a landslide on the highway in Kinnaur

A landslide occurred on the Rekong Peo-Shimla highway in Himachal’s Kinnaur district on Wednesday. In this incident, a passing truck and some other vehicles, including a Himachal Pradesh Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) bus, got buried under the debris. Over 40 people were initially feared trapped under the rubble, most of whom were on the bus. Nothing is known about this bus yet.

14 people rescued

Relief and rescue operations are underway since the incident, and 14 people have been pulled alive from the rubble so far. Around 300 personnel of ITBP, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and police teams are engaged in the rescue work. The rescue operations had to face difficulties yesterday due to the continuous falling of rocks from the hill. After colliding with rocks, some vehicles also fell in the Sutlej river, and the search is on for them.

Death toll likely to rise

Officials have also expressed apprehension that the death toll will increase as the bus, Bolero, and the passengers sitting in it are yet to be traced. There is also a fear of them rolling down along with the debris. The truck also reached the river bank due to stones, and its driver was found dead. An Alto car was also found buried under the rubble, but no one was inside it.

President talks to Governor and Chief Minister

Amidst relief and rescue work, President Ram Nath Kovind spoke to Himachal Governor Rajendra Arlekar and Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur over the phone and inquired about the situation. “I was told that all steps are being taken to bring the affected people to safety,” the president said. Earlier, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and Defense Minister Rajnath Singh also talked to the Chief Minister over the phone and assured all possible help.

More than 200 deaths occurred in Himachal Pradesh after June 13

Let us tell you that in recent times, Himachal Pradesh has been dramatically affected by natural calamities. More than 200 people have died in various natural disasters since June 13 this year. On July 27-28, seven people were killed in Lahaul-Spiti due to heavy rains, 12 people were killed in Keylong and Udaipur due to cloudburst, and on July 25, nine people were killed in Kinnaur due to falling stones.

Total
5
Shares