Legal dramas, crime, and neo-noir genres put together make a great blend. Very few shows justify this genre and do it well. One show that came as a surprise to the audiences during the pandemic was an American period drama created by HBO. With another show by the same name running since 1957, this is new and has been streaming since 2020.
What initially came with a low response was slowly picked up by the audiences, when they saw how the show ended it plots with a circle, but leaving a curve open for more. The show is Perry Mason. While it had more plots to unravel and truths to know, the show was officially canceled after two seasons and would not return for more. But are there any hopes of renewal? Any spin-offs? Let us find out.
Is Perry Mason Season 3 canceled?
Yes. The show was officially called off by HBO Network after season two completed filming. HBO even issued an official statement to Deadline, which said, “We are tremendously grateful for the remarkable work of Matthew Rhys and the unrivaled cast and crew of Perry Mason for their reimagining of such a treasured and storied franchise.While we won’t be moving forward with another season of the series, we are excited to continue working with the brilliant creatives at Team Downey on future projects.”
Reasons for Perry Mason Season 3 cancelation:
- The Writer’s Guild Association and SAG-AFTRA strikes are putting tremendous pressure on makers to continue
- Loss in HBO due to other unsuccessful shows
- Not enough viewership to continue with a third season with such uncertainties
- Already planned Neo noir-crime dramas hitting platforms in the fall of 2023 till mid of 2024
- A satisfactory, if not a whole, conclusion given in season two
- Viewership needs to be relative to the budget to return
Any hopes of renewal for Perry Mason Season 3:
No. While there are no hopes of a renewal, HBO spoke about more projects with the same makers, and even Downey Jr. said, “I think that Matthew and all the other people populating it in front of the screen, all our people behind the scenes, have built this incredible world that I know we could continue to tell really interesting stories about. We would be lying if we didn’t say we’ve certainly been talking to Michael a ton about a third season, but our fate rests in the hands of others.”
This shows they are interested in doing something about the show and might come up with new ways to bring the characters back on screen.
Spin-offs from Perry Mason Season 3:
- A spin-off can be expected as this is a legal drama about a private investigator named Perry Mason, who is put on a job by attorney Jonathan to find a kidnapped baby boy named Charlie Dodson, who was not just abducted but had eyes stitched open after his death. The revelations and the nabbing of the culprit is an adrenaline-filled experience
- A spin-off can come showing Perry Mason’s life or the first case he handled
- Short mini-series or limited series can also be created out of the franchise
Reasons why Perry Mason Season 3 should return:
- Season 2 ends at a cliffhanger with Perry in prison
- The show should be given another chance for the loyal viewer base
- Another network should take up the show and give it their touch
- The star cast is renowned and sees Matthew Rhys (Perry Mason), Juliet Rylance (Della Street), Katherine Waterston(Ginny Aimes) and others in lead roles
Where to watch Perry Mason Season 1 and 2?
The show can be streamed on HBO Max for viewing.
What next, if not Perry Mason?
One can hop onto these shows if they like Perry Mason;
- Burn Notice
- Magnum P.I.
- The Equalizer