Based upon the titular comic book series created and written by Gerard Way, a popular singer known for his My Chemical Romance, The Umbrella Academy has risen to be one of the most critically acclaimed series, spread across three seasons, with the fourth season getting renewed on August 25, 2022. With the fourth season sealing the fate of the show, the wait for the series to drop on Netflix is ricocheting the levels of patience, especially when the chances of the season to not release on the streaming giant in 2023 at all seem higher than ever before.
For those unversed, here’s the official synopsis of The Umbrella Academy (courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes):
“On one day in 1989, 43 infants are inexplicably born to random, unconnected women who showed no signs of pregnancy the day before. Seven are adopted by billionaire industrialist Sir Reginald Hargreeves, who creates the Umbrella Academy and prepares his “children” to save the world.”
Be that as it may, we have compiled some of the latest updates regarding The Umbrella Academy season 4. So, even though the series might not release in 2023, the series is providing some crumbs of the show to keep us going through this year.
Continue reading to know some of the latest updates.
What to expect from The Umbrella Academy Season 4?
The season 3 finale left the viewers in a daze. In the struggle to save the world, the Umbrellas and some of the Sparrows were rendered to live in an alternate world. In this world, they are stripped of their powers, and to exacerbate the situation, Sloan is missing. Is there another apocalypse waiting for our favorite characters in the future? Is Allison alive or dead? All these questions can only be answered in The Umbrella Academy season 4.
A preliminary plotline for The Umbrella Academy season 4 is provided to you (via What’s on Netflix): “After landing on Earth, an alien being disguises himself as a wealthy businessman and begins to recruit superpowered humans to train for a mission to save the world. When the alien dies, the superheroes reunite to carry out the mission.”
In an interview with Netflix Tudum, Blackman discloses the twists featured in the third season which will eventually culminate in season 4, saying, “It certainly is. But the siblings are always up for a challenge. This new timeline has been dictated by Hargreeves, who reprogrammed the Universe at the end of the Season 3 finale. But because of Allison’s actions, he didn’t get to finish what he started before Allison pressed the reset button. So, the siblings losing their powers isn’t going to be the only oddity in this timeline. Some new enemies want to see them wiped out of existence, but how do they manage without their powers? Is there even a way to get them back? The stakes have never been greater.”
Not only that, but Blackman also expressed his excitement over the release of the fourth and final season, saying:
“I’m so excited that the incredibly loyal fans of The Umbrella Academy will be able to experience the fitting end to the Hargreeves siblings’ journey we began five years ago. But before we get to that conclusion, we’ve got an amazing story ahead for season four, one that will have fans on the edge of their seats until the final minutes.”
How many episodes will be there in The Umbrella Academy season 4?
As per the reports, the fourth and final season will constitute a total of six episodes with a runtime of approximately 40 to 60 minutes. As you can see, the upcoming installment is streaming lesser episodes than it did for the previous seasons, which was also confirmed by the showrunner on Twitter, who said: “It’s true. But you’re going to love them.”
The episode titles and the respective plot lines have not been disclosed yet, except for the episode title of the first episode, which reads, “The Unbearable Tragedy of Getting What You Want,” whose teleplay is written by Steve Blackman and Jesse McKeown.
Who are the cast members of The Umbrella Academy season 4?
As per Netflix’s announcement, the season will be starring the following cat members:
- Elliot Page as Viktor Hargreeves
- Tom Hopper as Luther Hargreeves
- David Castaneda as Diego Hargreeves
- Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison Hargreeves
- Robert Sheehan as Klaus Hargreeves
- Aidan Gallagher as Number Five
- Justin H. Min as Ben Hargreeves
- Ritu Arya as Lila Pitts
- Colm Feore as Sir Reginald
In addition to the above-mentioned list of cast members, another eminent personality will also be added. As per the reports, Parks and Recreation star Nick Offerman will reportedly join The Umbrella Academy’s cast for its fourth and final season. Offerman, popular for his role as Ron Swanson in Parks and Recreation, for which he even received the TCA Award for Individual Achievement in Comedy, will reportedly reprise the role of Gerald, who is described as an “eccentric small-town major.”
Will there be new characters to feature in The Umbrella Academy season 4?
In a surprising turn of events that is only turning out to be in the favor of the fans, the fourth season of the series will be featuring five new characters:
- Gerald aka Gene
- Described as an eccentric small-town mayor, Gene is a reticent intellectual who knows his way around Smith & Wesson. Adopting the attitude of a Gepetto, he believes that he is living in a broken world and wishes to fix it. Gerald does not raise his voice; his glare is enough to make one totter on the path if you cross him.
- Bea aka Jean
- Described as a force of nature, Jean is a community college professor who, also like Gerald, contends that she is living in a broken world and seeks to fix it, only to restore her grandiose sense of place. Enamored with qualities like meticulousness, headstrongness, and brilliance, she is also tinged with a color of paranoia here and there, especially of people who challenge her beliefs.
- As per the reports, Bea aka Jean’s character is rumored to be played by Megan Mullaley, since the concerned parties are currently in talks about this.
- Kailee is a woman living a mundane life, working a mundane waitressing job at a mundane diner. However, she’s not all mundane, there’s some mystery to her life that she has kept hidden for so long. A perfect amalgamation of sarcasm and wickedness, Kailee boasts a tough exterior, wherein she is amicable to her regulars but has sheer hatred for the assholes. Be that as it may, there is some darker, deeper, emotional truth that boiling beneath that tough exterior like latent lava, wishing to explode if not taken care of.
- Currently, we don’t have any information regarding the actor who will reprise her role.
- Cassius Newman
- Newman is described as an attorney who gave it all up to live in a commune.
When can we expect The Umbrella Academy Season 4 to arrive on Netflix?
As previously mentioned, The Umbrella Academy season 4 might not even release in 2023 at all. Corroborating with this news, Production Weekly has given The Umbrella Academy the code name “Kodiak”. Season 4 of The Umbrella Academy was renewed in August 2022, owing to the extraordinary and heart-warming reception of the third season. In fact, the third season of this comic-based drama opened at #1 in Netflix’s English-language TV weekly rankings with 124.5 million viewership hours.
As per the reports, the filming of The Umbrella Academy season 4 began on February 6, 2023, and is scheduled to wrap up on May 19, 2023. The filming will reportedly take place in and around Toronto, Canada. Be that as it may, the season will not arrive until the end of the year. But since a show like this would harbor a huge post-production process, we might not get to watch the season until early 2024.
Family meeting, Brellies: We're going on a fourth and final adventure. ☂️🖤 pic.twitter.com/0zOYDb6Jwm
— Umbrella Academy (@UmbrellaAcad) August 25, 2022
Will there be a season 5 of The Umbrella Academy?
Unfortunately, the fourth season will seal the fate of The Umbrella Academy, as reported by Deadline. Although that has left many fans devastated, we can find solace in the fact that there is at least one more season to binge-watch. You can mentally prepare yourself for bidding adieus to your favorite characters.
For more release date updates on The Umbrella Academy season 4, stay tuned to Web News Observer!