“I want to know the real Tokyo, what’s beneath the surface”
Tokyo, the largest urban and industrial agglomeration in Japan has quite a bling attached to it. When talking about Tokyo, what comes to mind are the cherry blossoms, Shibuya Crossing which is somewhat the Times Square of Japan, the shrines, kimono-wrapped women and girls, manga and anime, and a whole different kind of fashion statements.
However, what doesn’t come to mind is the underground world of organized crime, mafias, dealings, loan-sharking, the presence of “Boryokudan” which literally means violent group, gang wars, and involvement of law enforcers in all of it.
To uncover the dirtiest corners of the city, Jake Adelstein, an American journalist moves to Tokyo to dig deep into all this and get the biggest breakthrough of his career.
Here’s the poster and everything to know about the upcoming crime drama, Tokyo Vice:
Tokyo Vice Release Date
HBO Max will release the first three episodes of Tokyo Vice on April 7, 2022. After that, two episodes will be released every Thursday till April 28, 2022, which will be the season finale.
Tokyo Vice Trailer
The trailer gives a peek into the dangers one puts themselves in when following a profession such as crime journalism which sometimes means putting one’s life at risk.
Jake Adelstein joins the Tokyo Vice squad to get to know the crime world of the city which is otherwise romanticized like anything. But being in a foreign country and digging in their own grounds comes with its own sets of ups and downs.
Tokyo Vice Plot
Tokyo Vice Cast
- Ansel Elgort as Jake Adelstein, an American journalist who moves to Tokyo in order to expand his career. However, the city isn’t how it seems to be and it is capable enough to take him down if he’ll try to dig in deeper.
- Ken Watanabe as Hiroto Katagiri, an experienced detective working in the unit of organized crime. He was accompanied by Adelstein throughout the course of the story where Ken gets him familiar with the unknown and dangerous parts of the city.
- Rachel Keller as Samantha, an American who lives in Tokyo and works as a hostess at the Kabukicho district.
- Ella Rumpf as Polina, an Eastern European woman who works with Samantha. She’s rather new to the job.
- Rinko Kikuchi as Adelstein’s supervisor.
- Tomohisa Yamashita as Akira
- Ayumi Itô as Misaki
- Hideaki Itô as Jin Miyamoto
- Shun Sugata
- Masato Hagiwara
- Ayumi Tanida
- Kosuke Toyohara
- Shô Kasamatsu
- Koshi Uehara
- Noémie Nakai
- Ayumi Tanida